Thursday, February 15, 2007
Call Me Supermom.......
.....or superdork.
This morning I took the kids to school and Tookie and I headed off for Farm and Fleet to pick up a pair of snowboots for Nathan. His have suffered a terrible fate and found their rest in the trash can this morning.
While driving to Muscatine I thought to myself how thankful I am that I am able to just stop what I am doing to take care of unexpected things for my family. I love being an at-home mommy. I totally admire women who can work outside the home and keep everything in the home working too. I would not be able to do that. I'm just not a supermom in that way.
But I can find the only pair of boots in an entire store that will fit my 10 year old. Even if I have to take a pair of tennis shoes that I know fits him over to the women's department and match up to the right size in a boot that does not look like a women's boot....other than the label. In that way....I am a total super-mom.
I took them right to school and had the boy try them on. He kept saying "these are awesome. they are perfect! Thank you so much, mom" And I am all like...."no biggie. That's what i'm here for. And before you say anything about the label....let me just tell you what it means. When you read the word 'womans'....what that really means is WO! MAN! There are like no other boots on sale anywhere in February except for these really awesome and totally expensive ones." Nathan laughed. Call me super-mom
So then Tookie and I are on our way home and we can't get our back door open. The storm door is FROZEN shut. The only key on my keyring is for the back door....the unlocked but frozen -shut door. The front and side doors were totally not frozen, but locked. UHG! So I'm trying to call anybody I know.....that actually loves me....for help. My dad who works in Muscatine (where i just was) has an extra key to our house and he thinks it's for the side door. My brother suggested perhaps finding a propane torch in mom and dad's garage.....but then thought maybe I would burn something up.....or down.
The super-mom in me decided to grab my mom's hair dryer and plug it in in our garage and melt the ice around our door.
It worked.
Why do I feel like such a dork?
Now I have less than 2 hours to get ready for 5 to 10 middle school kids from school who come over on Thursdays for an after-school-youth-group-type-of-thing. That's what I really wanted to tell you about.
Next time.
This morning I took the kids to school and Tookie and I headed off for Farm and Fleet to pick up a pair of snowboots for Nathan. His have suffered a terrible fate and found their rest in the trash can this morning.
While driving to Muscatine I thought to myself how thankful I am that I am able to just stop what I am doing to take care of unexpected things for my family. I love being an at-home mommy. I totally admire women who can work outside the home and keep everything in the home working too. I would not be able to do that. I'm just not a supermom in that way.
But I can find the only pair of boots in an entire store that will fit my 10 year old. Even if I have to take a pair of tennis shoes that I know fits him over to the women's department and match up to the right size in a boot that does not look like a women's boot....other than the label. In that way....I am a total super-mom.
I took them right to school and had the boy try them on. He kept saying "these are awesome. they are perfect! Thank you so much, mom" And I am all like...."no biggie. That's what i'm here for. And before you say anything about the label....let me just tell you what it means. When you read the word 'womans'....what that really means is WO! MAN! There are like no other boots on sale anywhere in February except for these really awesome and totally expensive ones." Nathan laughed. Call me super-mom
So then Tookie and I are on our way home and we can't get our back door open. The storm door is FROZEN shut. The only key on my keyring is for the back door....the unlocked but frozen -shut door. The front and side doors were totally not frozen, but locked. UHG! So I'm trying to call anybody I know.....that actually loves me....for help. My dad who works in Muscatine (where i just was) has an extra key to our house and he thinks it's for the side door. My brother suggested perhaps finding a propane torch in mom and dad's garage.....but then thought maybe I would burn something up.....or down.
The super-mom in me decided to grab my mom's hair dryer and plug it in in our garage and melt the ice around our door.
It worked.
Why do I feel like such a dork?
Now I have less than 2 hours to get ready for 5 to 10 middle school kids from school who come over on Thursdays for an after-school-youth-group-type-of-thing. That's what I really wanted to tell you about.
Next time.
Labels: 'cats for christ, life at home











2 Comments:
That is so funny that you had to go get your mom's blow dryer to get in your house. I like the wo-man idea too, it sounds like you had a great day!
Robin,
I was glad to hear that you chose a blow dryer, that seems a lot more safe than a torch, even for Supermom!
Carla
Post a Comment
<< Home