Monday, January 29, 2007
Watching SpongeBob is a Spiritual Thing To Do
I have been thinking alot lately about some of the more philisophical things in life. About having worthy goals and about living outside of myself. About living contentedly in each moment and finding joy in everday. About what my greater purpose or mission in life is. Or what it should be.

I've spent a lot of time these last few years trying to see if I could make a big difference in life somewhere. I've tried to use my writing as a means of ministry...especially reaching out to moms. I've developed plans in my head to go out to different churches and speak to women's and mother's groups in the surrounding area. I've gone so far as to picture myself as a sought after leader in women's ministry.

As I step back and take an honest look at those things, I can see my ego getting in the way of what I think making a difference is.

Making a difference isn't so much about all the big things I mentioned. I think it's more about a bunch of little things that add up to a big deal. Like praying for my kids while I am doing thier laundry. Or sitting down with them to help with thier homework. By showing up at school unannounced to help out or hang out at lunch time. Showing the people I love the most that I care is not going to be all about the major things we do as a family as much as it will be all about whether they felt like they mattered in the dailyness of everday. And I can do that just by taking the time to enter into thier worlds and not figure out how they fit in to mine.

Right now that just might mean spending Saturday morning by sitting down to an episode of "SpongeBob Squarepants".

I don't think I am any longer concerned with whether or not I am published in major magazines or sought after to speak at women's ministry events. I am more concerned with being the one sought after when any of my kids faces a hardship of any kind and needs someone to go to. I think it will be in moments like that that I will feel accomplished. Building a relationship like that doesn't just happen. It starts with the everyday stuff and it starts now.

I'm off to hang out with my preschooler and some Nick Jr. TV.

posted at 12:34 PM
1 comments



1 Comments:
At 8:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robin,
I just wanted to prove to you that I do read your stuff. You are in my "Favorites", and that is where you deserve to be. Keep up the great writing, you are inspiring!
Carla

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Name: Robin Paulsen
Location: Durant, Iowa

About Me
About This Site
My Complete Profile

*Links go here*

Our First Basketball Game
Dear MAT Class,
Front Page Photo
The Friday Funnies
American Idol???
A Goal
Snow & Our Weekend Update
I have a couple of writing projects lined up for m...
The First "Oh-Well"
Big Winners!

May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
April 2008
May 2008

****Extra stuff can go here!****

Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:


Meter by: