Tuesday, May 15, 2007
Mother's Day Weekend
I spent Friday through yesterday being a "mom" to a child that is not my own.
A family member of mine is in some trouble and her 3-year-old daughter is in foster care. I felt a huge responsibility to try and be there for both of them in the only way I knew how. To take care of that little girl.
I don't know if this little one calls everyone who takes care of her "mom" or if she just wanted to call me what the others were calling me.....but all weekend long I heard a whole lot of "mom"s with a demand attatched to it.
I am exhausted.
And so is Tookie who didn't take to well to having a younger girl calling her mom, "mom", and demanding all of her mom's time.
For obvious reasons, I cannot go into detail about the situation that brought this girl to us for the weekend. I admit that the weekend was a test to see if we would be able to take care of her in a long-term foster-care setting. Sadly, I cannot. But the responsibility I feel towards her and her mom is not lessened at all.
I know that I am unable to keep her here in our home....
But she is in almost every one of my prayers.
And maybe now more than ever, she needs a "spiritual mommy" too.
A family member of mine is in some trouble and her 3-year-old daughter is in foster care. I felt a huge responsibility to try and be there for both of them in the only way I knew how. To take care of that little girl.
I don't know if this little one calls everyone who takes care of her "mom" or if she just wanted to call me what the others were calling me.....but all weekend long I heard a whole lot of "mom"s with a demand attatched to it.
I am exhausted.
And so is Tookie who didn't take to well to having a younger girl calling her mom, "mom", and demanding all of her mom's time.
For obvious reasons, I cannot go into detail about the situation that brought this girl to us for the weekend. I admit that the weekend was a test to see if we would be able to take care of her in a long-term foster-care setting. Sadly, I cannot. But the responsibility I feel towards her and her mom is not lessened at all.
I know that I am unable to keep her here in our home....
But she is in almost every one of my prayers.
And maybe now more than ever, she needs a "spiritual mommy" too.











3 Comments:
I am so proud of you for giving this a try. You are a great, caring person and mother. I will be keeping the little one in my prayers also.
I also am proud of you for trying, at least now you know deep down you tried, instead of always wondering. Just keep praying and God will find the perfect home for her. Hang in there!
If only more people would try like you did, there may be a perfect match for more children in need. You won't have to wonder, what if....? You took on a challenge that many wouldn't even have tried, and are honest enough to know that it wasn't going to work out for your family. I will add her to my prayers and know that God will place her in the perfect home.
Post a Comment
<< Home