Last night was Nathan's first game. I walked up to the field just before it started and saw Nathan warming up. On the pitchers mound.
I wasn't prepared for him to be the starting pitcher last night. And I learned that a mom has to mentally prepare herself for these things. I was so nervous for the boy that I seriously thought I was going to throw up. And when he had an excellent 1st inning and then pitched....3 up and 3 down in the second inning....I was so excited that I was on the verge of tears. Talk about a roller coaster of emotions. And only partially related to PMS.
We lost the game. It was a good match up, though. And Nathan was just so proud of himself that it was hard to be disappointed in the loss.
I was, however, disappointed in how some of the coaches and parents handled themselves. I won't mention any names.....but BOTH teams were DURANT teams. These kids see each other in school everyday and play with each other in PE and recess. You could tell this by just watching the boys chatting it up with each other while the coaches fought with or BULLIED the umpire. The high school umpire. Who did his absolute very best to keep controll of the game IN SPITE of the fact that the parents of these kids....the coaches....and maybe even this umpire's neighbors.....were totally disrespecting him. Seriously. I watched our 3rd base runner visiting with the 3rd baseman and wondering if they were going to get to finish the game or if they should be mad at each other because of the way their coaches were all but duking it out. I was embarassed for them. But proud of the way they conducted themselves.
And we wonder why kids act in an unsportsman like way.











5 Comments:
Hi Robin-
I really don't like to be at a game where the parents are taking things way to the extreme. Maybe someone should get video footage and put it on the Dr Phil show or something. The thing about it is that I tend to fume and am tempted to yell at those people and to chastise the rude-acting adults, to hopefully shame them into seeing how they are acting and what bad examples they are being. I usually haven't had the guts to confront people like that, however. I just think that the kids should have a good time and learn about the sport and GOOD sportsmanship.
I'm so glad that Nathan personally did so well. He's so talented!
If it is possible to send us a copy of the kids' game schedules, could you do that please? We can't come to very many of them, but it would be nice to try to get to some. Thanks Robin and have a good day. Talk to you later.
Love ya-Sharon
Robin,
I agree, and we sonder why kids act in an unsportsman like way.
Sometimes it can be really bad in our kids sports world, because everyone takes away the fun of it and it gets to serious.
Hang in there!
I am glad that Luke is still in coach pitch this year. It actually gives him one more year of fun. I lived through Justin's baseball career in Davenport and I know how the parents and coaches can be sometimes when it comes to makeing calls etc. Justin was also a pitcher so I can relate to the stress put on you as a mom wanting ever pitch to be right in there, straight to the glove. He pitched all the way through high school, so sorry to say, but the feelings will continue all the way for you too. You will be so proud anyway, but it hurts when they are having an off night. Sometimes I think it was harder on me.
At Luke's game here on Tuesday, some of the parents from the visiting team were drinking beer right on the bleachers. Most of them had it in coozies, but one guy just had it out like it was nothing. I thought that was awful. Maybe I am just a prud, but I think there is a place for drinking and a little kids ballgame isn't it! It is so hard for our kids these days growing up, with some of the role models they have.
I have been at several games that end in this manner and it is completely embarrassing for everyone there. I was at a 5th grade football game and a dad got thrown out of the staduim. How sad for the young boy of that man. His daughter was crying because daddy was being escorted out. Over a 5th grade football game.
My daughter plays softball and there is one town that everyone dread going to becuase the parents are awful. One tme the umpire and a coach both got kicked out by the home plate ump because of the bickering that was going on. This is no way to act over a child's ball game. I agree with you 100% that it's no wonder our kids have to be told how to be good sports when playing sports. We as parents really need to step up and teach our kids the right way to handle defeat. And winning!!
Anyone else see a thread between this post and the "Sign of the Times" post? Not so diffenent really. The underlying disintigration of authority and diminishing respect is present in both categories. A downward spiral is and has been occurring in our society. Wish I had the answer, I'd write a book (or a brochure) and make MILLIONS!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home