Wednesday, May 09, 2007
Comfort in the Chaos
Monday was a long day.
There was this HUGE weight of a situation mentioned just a few posts before resting on my shoulders. And on my heart. And in my head. (updates to come soon....just trying to be wise before I talk about it here)
Fortunately I was able to stop thinking about that long enough to mentally digest another situation that popped up on Monday: a bomb threat at the school.
After school I'm sitting around outside and talking to the kids about the "code red" (or maybe a code yellow?) and I wanted to know what was going on in their heads at the time.
All 3 kids who were in school had a story to tell.....and THIS HARDLY EVER HAPPENS.....but all 3 stories were the same.
They heard the code over intercom. Teachers say to "line up". We left right away and walked to the community center.
I don't know a whole lot about the situation. I have heard many comments from parents who were not happy about how the parent-pick-up after school went off and how some parents didn't know what was going on as quickly as others.....
But here is what I do know:
The kids were calm in this frightening situation.
The teachers obviously all knew what to do and they all did the same thing and it all happened very quickly
The teachers followed the procedures in a way that the kids calm
And no matter when I found out about what was going on at the school....I am comforted that the kids were safe the entire time.
It's easy to get mad when you feel like you weren't in the loop on a potentially dangerous situation involving your kids....But we also have to keep in mind that the "proper protocol" (which, to my knowledge has only been in theory until last monday)is making sure our kids are safe.
I find comfort in that.
There was this HUGE weight of a situation mentioned just a few posts before resting on my shoulders. And on my heart. And in my head. (updates to come soon....just trying to be wise before I talk about it here)
Fortunately I was able to stop thinking about that long enough to mentally digest another situation that popped up on Monday: a bomb threat at the school.
After school I'm sitting around outside and talking to the kids about the "code red" (or maybe a code yellow?) and I wanted to know what was going on in their heads at the time.
All 3 kids who were in school had a story to tell.....and THIS HARDLY EVER HAPPENS.....but all 3 stories were the same.
They heard the code over intercom. Teachers say to "line up". We left right away and walked to the community center.
I don't know a whole lot about the situation. I have heard many comments from parents who were not happy about how the parent-pick-up after school went off and how some parents didn't know what was going on as quickly as others.....
But here is what I do know:
The kids were calm in this frightening situation.
The teachers obviously all knew what to do and they all did the same thing and it all happened very quickly
The teachers followed the procedures in a way that the kids calm
And no matter when I found out about what was going on at the school....I am comforted that the kids were safe the entire time.
It's easy to get mad when you feel like you weren't in the loop on a potentially dangerous situation involving your kids....But we also have to keep in mind that the "proper protocol" (which, to my knowledge has only been in theory until last monday)is making sure our kids are safe.
I find comfort in that.











2 Comments:
I agree that everything was done correctly. It gives me peace of mind to know that my children were safe.
I will admit, I was one of those parents wondering how we were supposed to know what was going on. I am very glad they had a plan and the kids were all safe and would've been if it was more than a threat. Luke did tell me though that the kids were told that their parents were informed and they would be there to pick them up. Well, after a few minutes, Luke was kind of worried, cause he knew that I would be there, or would've sent Grandma to pick him up. I'm not saying that I have an answer, and I know years ago there was a phone tree for the little ones in bad weather, and that didn't work the best due to so many new phone numbers etc. I pray that we don't have to worry about this again, but in this world today, that isn't a sure thing. I'm sure they are trying to work the bugs out of the plan and all will go well.
Post a Comment
<< Home