Monday, February 26, 2007
The UBC
....otherwise known as the "Ultimate Babysitter Challenge".

When I was in high school I prided myself on how many babysitting gigs I would get...and specifically one job where the 4-year-old boy was so in love with me and decided to show it by punching, biting and generally defying me in any abusive way that he knew how. And then some other ways he must have seen on T.V.

He was so cute. He had huge brown eyes. He once wrote me a letter in big red crayola letters professing his love for me. I did love this kid. Even when I would go home after a job and kiss my parents (something my parents chalked up to teenage crazyness since every time I left the house it was with some sort of argument and slammed door)because I made it out alive....and today would be the first day of the rest of my life.

Until the parents called me again and asked me to come back and babysit. I would always "forget" about all the naughtiness and have visions of a great babysitting night with pizza, pop, baths, books and bedtime. Reality usually hit about 12 seconds after the parents drove away....trusting me with their children.....one of which saw it as his personal goal to see how far he could push me without actually killing me. I think he didn't want me dead. Unless the love-letter was meant to throw me off.

2 years ago I went to his high school graduation party. He was every bit as cute as he was when he was 4. He didn't really remember those preschool-torture-the-babysitter-years.....but his mom did. I'm sure that's why I got invited.

Now that I am the parent who is looking for a babysitter (who will keep coming back)....I think it is safe to say that I have found the one who will get an invitation to my kids' graduation parties. The babysitter who came over last week and has agreed to come back this week. The babysitter who wasn't afraid to tell me the good and the bad and not even flinch or break a sweat while repeating a story to me. It is quite possible that this babysitter might just be the one who has visions of pizza, pop, bathtime, books and bedtime......and actually be able to pull it off.....

Last week when she came for the first time, we all sat down in the living room and everybody told the babysitter what their normal weeknight routines are (or theoretically should be) and that way she knew what I expected of them and so that they knew that she knew what I expected of them. And I made sure to mention that "babysitter" has a number to call me at only in an emergency.

"Claire, would an emergency be me not being here to sing you a song before bed?"

"No"

"Then tell me what you think an emergency would be..."

"maybe if the house catches on fire."

Oh my gosh....the only thing I could think right then was that Claire was planning on setting the house on fire so she could call me.

That evening....no phone calls. No fires. Everybody in bed when I got home. I paid her $20

Next time I am going to write her a check for a zillion dollars. Because she made theory become reality. She is the ultimate babysitter.

while she's here....I might as well go ahead and give her an invitation to Claire's graduation party.

posted at 1:52 PM
1 comments



1 Comments:
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Cathy Fry said...

so when you going out, do you already have plans? Jim and I have this weekend off. Hey that cute kid with huge brown eyes wasn't my son was he, because he did graduate two years ago. lol

See ya tomorrow!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Name: Robin Paulsen
Location: Durant, Iowa

About Me
About This Site
My Complete Profile

*Links go here*

A Life...or something like it
The Friday Funnies
quote
CT Scan Results
Dinnertime Prayer
Pitching Practice
Junior Achievement
'Cats for Christ
Call Me Supermom.......
My Valentine....

May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
April 2008
May 2008

****Extra stuff can go here!****

Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:


Meter by: