Tuesday, July 03, 2007
G.O.T G.U.T.S.?
"Getting On Track, Growing Up To Succeed."
That was the theme of the week-long camp for teenage, at-risk boys held at the Miracles Can Happen Boys Ranchlast week. 5 campers signed up, 4 completed the week, and all involved, be it the cooks, coaches, speakers, boys who live on the Ranch, or boys who came for the camp.....felt a touch from God in ways special and unique to them.
Fred the kids and I went out on Sunday morning for "Church in the Trees". We were driven out to the campgrounds of the property where the boys, their families and several staff and family friends worshiped in song and listened to a preacher from Illinois give his testimony and brought the "Fa
cing Your Giants" theme to life in a very real and appropriate way for the teenage boys present. I loved this speaker. And the boys could relate. As a child, he had several "parental" figures in the home, all who were abusive. He easily became involved with a crowd who were into drugs, alcohol and crime and he was very "good at it" all. He spent years doing time, getting out, and doing more time. (he brought his mug shots and passed them around....honestly, if I were one of the "at risk" campers here, I would have looked at the shots and thought that this picture could look just like me or any one of my friends) The man should have died several times through faults of his own or others....but for the grace of God. He went on to tell everyone how even though he is free from the lifestyle he once had, "giants" creep up on him everyday....just like everyone has their own giants.
I liked how he kept it all real. Just because he is a new person now than he was a dozen years ago, (he is a pastor now!)he never pretended to be perfect or to have it all together. As a matter of fact, he didn't pretend to not have problems or issues (like with anger), he just seemed to be more aware of his shortcomings and his need for God. This is a message fitting for everyone....not just those who are considered "at risk".
Anyways....I loved the church ser
vice. I'd actually become a member if church could be singing, praying and worshiping and learning all while hanging out with friends outside and roasting hot dogs. Yes~if church looked like camp~I'd sign up.
And what would sunday church be without a football game afterwards?
After "church" and lunch, we hiked back up to the main yard that is transformed into a football field. Throughout the week, the boys spent some time each day working under the direction of members of the Durant High School Football Coaching Staff. They learned fundamentals, drills and several plays. As a spectator, I thought it was refreshing to see these boys acting as a team and being willing to be coached. It's a great lesson for boys who need direction in "getting on track"
It is my prayer that the seeds sown in the lives of these boys will grow. That lives will be changed. And in turn, they will "grow up to succeed" and pass that on to others.
I know that I left that day a little different. I realize that we are all "at risk" in one way or another. there are always times when I can get off track. And when I'm on track, there are still more ways I can "grow up". There are giants faced almost every day. decisions that are hard to make or issues that are hard to stand up to. On my own. I realize that I am a lot more
like David who faced Goliath than I even knew. I am inspired by Jim and Cathy, founders of the Ranch, Curtis, their son who also works there, and all of the speakers and staff. They have a heart for Jesus and a heart for others. They have been called to reach out to teenage boys. They have been blessed with an outlet, a place and the means to do this. But what a lot of people do not know is that they have been working in this mission field since before they even had a house to open up, let alone an entire ranch. Years ago, they saw this need and were obedient about their calling. Even Curtis, a guy in his early 20's, is following God's will for his life in giving to these young boys. I KNOW that can't be easy when lots of guys his age are running from God.
Yes~I felt different leaving than when I first got there on Sunday. I have always felt a twinge of jealousy when I would go out to the ranch....i'm not sure if "jealous" is the right word.....but I've always wanted to be involved in a public ministry in the way that Jim and Cathy are. One that involves our family. At one point I even asked Fred if working out at the ranch as a family would be something he would ever consider. But
deep down, I know that this isn't what God has called me, Fred and our family to do. (don't get me wrong, we have a heart for it....and want to help with it....but it's not the mission work that we feel led to live for).
But I do know that God has given me a heart for mission work. I've known it for almost as long as I can remember. More and more he has revealed to me the who's and the what's this is to be....and in ways that seem so intense and so urgent in just the last few months.....he is showing me the where's and the when's.
Jim and Cathy and the Miracles Can Happen Boys Ranch are an excellent example to me in how mission work doesn't have to mean leaving the country or feeding the hungry or housing the homeless. Although those are great examples of ministry and mission work....but opening up my doors at home, or having "church" in my backyard "camp", helping those I kn
ow, see or who come to me who are hungry~both physically and spiritually, and showing people what it means to have an eternal home is every bit as much a ministry and a mission field as anything else.
If I were to face my daily giants, and be obedient to this calling, maybe someday, just like Jim and Cathy, I will be able to look around me, either here on earth or in heaven, and see that God was at work in it and He has blessed it.
That was the theme of the week-long camp for teenage, at-risk boys held at the Miracles Can Happen Boys Ranchlast week. 5 campers signed up, 4 completed the week, and all involved, be it the cooks, coaches, speakers, boys who live on the Ranch, or boys who came for the camp.....felt a touch from God in ways special and unique to them.
Fred the kids and I went out on Sunday morning for "Church in the Trees". We were driven out to the campgrounds of the property where the boys, their families and several staff and family friends worshiped in song and listened to a preacher from Illinois give his testimony and brought the "Fa
I liked how he kept it all real. Just because he is a new person now than he was a dozen years ago, (he is a pastor now!)he never pretended to be perfect or to have it all together. As a matter of fact, he didn't pretend to not have problems or issues (like with anger), he just seemed to be more aware of his shortcomings and his need for God. This is a message fitting for everyone....not just those who are considered "at risk".
Anyways....I loved the church ser
And what would sunday church be without a football game afterwards?
After "church" and lunch, we hiked back up to the main yard that is transformed into a football field. Throughout the week, the boys spent some time each day working under the direction of members of the Durant High School Football Coaching Staff. They learned fundamentals, drills and several plays. As a spectator, I thought it was refreshing to see these boys acting as a team and being willing to be coached. It's a great lesson for boys who need direction in "getting on track"
It is my prayer that the seeds sown in the lives of these boys will grow. That lives will be changed. And in turn, they will "grow up to succeed" and pass that on to others.
I know that I left that day a little different. I realize that we are all "at risk" in one way or another. there are always times when I can get off track. And when I'm on track, there are still more ways I can "grow up". There are giants faced almost every day. decisions that are hard to make or issues that are hard to stand up to. On my own. I realize that I am a lot more
Yes~I felt different leaving than when I first got there on Sunday. I have always felt a twinge of jealousy when I would go out to the ranch....i'm not sure if "jealous" is the right word.....but I've always wanted to be involved in a public ministry in the way that Jim and Cathy are. One that involves our family. At one point I even asked Fred if working out at the ranch as a family would be something he would ever consider. But
But I do know that God has given me a heart for mission work. I've known it for almost as long as I can remember. More and more he has revealed to me the who's and the what's this is to be....and in ways that seem so intense and so urgent in just the last few months.....he is showing me the where's and the when's.
Jim and Cathy and the Miracles Can Happen Boys Ranch are an excellent example to me in how mission work doesn't have to mean leaving the country or feeding the hungry or housing the homeless. Although those are great examples of ministry and mission work....but opening up my doors at home, or having "church" in my backyard "camp", helping those I kn
If I were to face my daily giants, and be obedient to this calling, maybe someday, just like Jim and Cathy, I will be able to look around me, either here on earth or in heaven, and see that God was at work in it and He has blessed it.











1 Comments:
We just had an outdoor movie night at our church on Saturday and we showed Facing the Giants. Boy was that an eye opener and really made me search my own soul. It was a very good lessons movie.
The ranch sounds like an exciting ministry. There are a lot of at risk people in this world, if we could all just reach out to 10 and lead them to the life God has planned for them this world would be a much better place.
Post a Comment
<< Home