Monday, March 26, 2007
From the Management:
To the 8th grade kids who like to frequent the playground equipment designed specifically for children ages 5 to 12, and the adjoining tennis courts located at the same park:

Forgive me, please, if I have misjudged your age and guessed you as being older than you really are. It's easy for, let's just say.....a 6-year-old to believe that the person who was twice her size and calling her a "big freak" to believe that you would be older and more mature than your numeric age would indicate.

Speaking of mature:
One would think that someone who was as mature as you are would become easily bored playing on the equipment designed specifically for children much younger than you. But not you boys. I saw that you came prepared (as i should have expected). I would have thought that the 2-liter bottles of diet coke each of you brought along with you was because you were extremely thirsty and that perhaps you were watching your caloric intake or something. Little did I or the children playing there (children much younger than you)know that the half a dozen 2-litters of diet coke were for your own entertainment purposes. Shaking them all up and bombing the tennis courts with exploding bottles of soda must have worn off quickly. But shaking them up and spraying the insides of all of the tunnel slides is down right comical. You must still be laughing over that one.

I'm sure those children unaware of what happened and later took a trip down those same slides thought it was funny.

It's too bad that you ran off as I was approaching you. I merely had hoped to make proper introductions and exchange phone numbers. I'm sure that your parents would be besides themselves with pride to receive a phone call about how their mature children were able to enjoy a playground designed for kids much younger than their own. And I bet they would love to hear how your expansive and flowery vocabulary skills are being used to influence those much younger than yourselves as well.

Again....I'm sorry we didn't have a chance to meet. But I'll think of you when my child comes home sticky and covered in soda. And I'll think of you when I want to play tennis but I can't because the net is in too bad of shape from you sitting and bouncing on it non-stop. Even after being asked to stop. But then I suppose that acknowledging my asking you to stop could have been interpreted as a sign of weakness. Or immaturity. I understand.

I've thought of carrying my camera with me when I go to the park from now on. I'm sure there are other parents of kids.....for whom this playground was designed for....would love to meet the people who trashed it.

Tell you what. I'll bring my camera and you bring a bucket of soapy water and sponges.

Sincerely,
The Management.

posted at 11:24 AM
4 comments



4 Comments:
At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad the right people aren't seeing this posting. I have heard of some of the things that have happened at the park in the past and am truely discusted by it. The soda thing is something I've not heard of. I am so looking forward to getting a new playground at school, and will take vandalism personally, as I am playing a role in the whole process. I'm sure the one's who spent so much time and energy, so we can have such a nice play structure in the park feel that way too. On many occasions I have asked kids to stop throwing rocks and respect the smaller children that are playing properly. I've sometimes felt like they didn't care what I had to say. Isn't there some kind of saying to "respect your elders?" Taking your camera to the park may be just the answer. Maybe instead of neighborhood watch, we need park watch. It is sad that all of the kids can't take pride in what we have in our small town.

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger robin said...

I like the idea about a "park watch".
It is sad that we live practically spitting distance from the park and I am leery of letting the kids just "go play".

Who do you suggest needs to see this post????

I almost wanted to publish it in print.....but I thought it was a little too smart a** of me. I get that way when I'm angry!

 
At 11:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can write a different version about respect that you can publish??? I think this really does need to reach the correct people. I am not really sure who those people are but I think all parents can think about it for their own kids.

 
At 7:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm sure this isn't something that is happening just here at our park. Parents of all teens in the area that say they are going to the park, should stop and think. Kids of that age aren't "playing" on the equipment properly. I think an article in the local paper and maybe the "Family Focus" or the QCTimes would maybe make some of them think about it. I'm thinking you shouldn't just let this drop. You have the resources and you are a great writter, get it out there for more to see. Too many people see things like that and do nothing about it. We don't live close enough to the park that Luke can go by himself yet, but I'm sure that day will come. I would like to know that he is safe there and the equipment is clean. It is sad that some kids take the "fun" out of fun for the little ones. I think we need to find a way to take the "fun" out of their bad choices.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home




Name: Robin Paulsen
Location: Durant, Iowa

About Me
About This Site
My Complete Profile

*Links go here*

The Friday Funnies...
The First Day of Spring Brings.....
Tip Tuesday
That's It. Period.
You all prayed.I know you did.This "thing" turned ...
Struggling
A "Poster Parent" I am not....
Well now I feel bad....
Nathan is a Happy Camper
Been Busy...

May 2006
June 2006
July 2006
August 2006
September 2006
October 2006
November 2006
December 2006
January 2007
February 2007
March 2007
April 2007
May 2007
June 2007
July 2007
August 2007
September 2007
October 2007
November 2007
December 2007
January 2008
April 2008
May 2008

****Extra stuff can go here!****

Blog Design by:


Image from:
www.istockphoto.com

Powered by:


Meter by: