Wednesday, March 14, 2007
You all prayed.
I know you did.
This "thing" turned out great.
Here's the pre-show: I've got these things swirling around in my head. Ideas, you know. And before you ask, the answer is "yes"....any sort of psychotic/mental issues have been officially ruled out or medicated for. But anyways....you know I love to write. It is how I communicate the best. So it has been really weird for me that for the last couple of years I have felt like I need to be out there speaking. Like for women's groups, parents, moms....you get the idea.
Me. Speak. The one who...if she isn't tripping over her own feet then she is tripping over her words. Yeah. I know.
I've had a microphone in my hands a few times in the last couple of years. But nothing real big or official or anything. I did give a killer toast at my brother's wedding, though!
Anyways...QC Family Focus Magazine allowed me to put in a byline/bio thingie at the end of all of my articles. Somewhere in all of that it says to contact me if you need a speaker for your group.
In 2 years I haven't had anyone I contact me. So I was gonna pull the "speaker" part of the bio out. Besides....I am way better at writing than speaking.
Except I knew I should be doing this. So I crossed my arms and planted my feet and explained to God that if He did in fact want me to do something like this then He is gonna have to "be my agent" so to speak.
The "Thing":Last weekend someone from a MOPS group (mothers of preschoolers) contacted me and said that the speaker they had lined up for this week canceled and would I be able to do it??? The topic was going to be "making baby food, meal planning and grocery budgeting"....
I said yes I could...this is exactly the sort of thing I had in mind when I pictured myself speaking to groups.
Then: I panicked.
Knowing that I tend to trip all over my words, I knew I had to have not just an outline...but a written out presentation in the event that I should start to choke. And how in the world am I going to come up with things to say for an hour.
Here are my notes at 3:00 yesterday....
This presentation was to take place at 10 am today
I made sure that God was aware that this is way harder than I thought it would be and that this was going to be a one time thing.
How it all ends: I was nervous for about 3 minutes. As the "guest speaker" today I didn't really have to take over the show. I felt like I led a conversation....and I didn't need to read my 10-page "outline". It all felt very natural. They actually had to cut me off at the end. I guess I can talk for an hour.
I might just do it again sometime.
Only if my agent sets it all up.
Just wanted to give a big SHOUT OUT to all of you moms from Homewood E-Free Church in Moline! You all were way to kind to me today! Thanks for inviting me to speak to your group!











3 Comments:
Awesome, sounded like your thing you have been so concerned about went very well. I'm proud of you for saying yes and taking this big step. Keep up the good work, I'm sure you were an awesome speaker. Great job!!!!
Way to go girl! I'm sure you are relieved it is over and now you know you CAN do it. I think it is great when anyone can get up in front of strangers, or anyone for that matter and talk. Keep up all the good work you do and you will have groups fighting for your time. Just remember us when you make the big time.
Okay...you can stop talking about "the big time"!
Post a Comment
<< Home