Friday, December 08, 2006
We recently paid our annual visit to Santa. When the bearded-big-guy walked into the room and made his way to his majestic throne, he took some time to give hugs and greetings to the children waiting in line. When he came to my girls, he patted their heads and commented on how much they’ve grown since he’d last visited them.
“Have you been good girls this year?” Santa asks.
“Yes-Oh-Yes”, chimed all of my girls. All except my strong-willed, six-year-old Claire, whose eyes started to slightly take on a sad, puppy-dog appearance upon hearing that dreaded question.
Earlier that day I had announced to everyone that we would be going to see Santa that night. Claire’s initial excitement turned into a slight panic as she muttered the words “Uh-Oh”, and disappeared into her room for the better part of the afternoon. I understood her reaction to mean that she was worried Santa might have her name written on the “naughty” list. When she emerged she held a 9-page book titled “Welcome to the North Pole”, authored and colored by her and neatly stapled together ready to present to Santa.
That evening she climbed onto Santa’s lap and I watched as she read each page of her book to him. When she had thoroughly explained each page and picture, she told him he could take the book with him to the North Pole. It wasn’t until she was sure that Santa wasn’t going to pull the rug out from under her that she proceeded to tell him what she wanted for Christmas.
She’s strong willed and smart!
I wrote the above story down because it was something that I just never ever want to forget. It’s a story that I hope to someday share with Claire’s children. But when I was writing it all down I felt the quiet whisper of the Holy Spirit asking me if I would be ready for the day that the Lord calls me home. Am I living each day as if I could meet my maker face-to-face? Am I loving the people around me and treating each relationship with top priority? Or am I subconsciously hoping that I will have some sort of warning sign so at the last minute, I can make things right between me and God and me and other people? Since nobody knows the day or time when our work on earth will be done, it’s important to be spiritually and physically ready at all times. Hopefully when my time on earth is up, I can climb on my Heavenly Father’s lap and share my story with Him without having that rug pulled out from under me!











4 Comments:
What a great story, Robin! I love the "lesson" you took away from it, too. (What a precious photo!)
What a great way to tie in the true meaning of Christmas, it's all about Jesus, are we being naughty or nice in our Christian walk daily? What a great way to end your wonderful story about your special little Claire.
Love ya,
I can tell you that as a friend I ALWAYS know that you are there for me and care deeply about our friendship! I enjoy our time together. (There has not been enough of it lately, though)
Santa is a fun guy...
And...a very great lesson learned!
Post a Comment
<< Home