Tuesday, July 04, 2006
Happy 4th Everyone!

Alternate Title: Happy Half Birthday Nathan!
I have a small confession to make.
Nathan's birthday is January 4th. Which means that it is usually to crummy out to do anything outdoors. At least 3 of his parties have been cancelled due to horrible weather and driving conditions. And in his younger years....he generally felt ripped off when it came to birthday parties.
The solution, I came up with....was pure genius if I do say so myself.
I told him that the 4th of July celebrations were all for him. The band and the ice-cream social at the school, the sparklers, the entire town showing up was all to celebrate his half birthday.....I convinced him that his favorite colors were red, white and blue...so he believed that the decorations for HIS party were better than any of his sisters....everything down to the "rockets red glare-bombs bursting in air"......all to celebrate Nathan.
It worked. For a few years anyway.
Then he went away to school and started to like learn the real meanings of stuff.
Darn school system anyway.
Oh well. That's one of the things I love about the boy....that he is careful to look for the truth in things. And he appreciates the significance of things....and he knows how to celebrate it all.
So tonight when I see the red white and blue reflections of fireworks in his eyes I will no doubt be celebrating on the inside how thankfull I am for this country, my hometown, my family and this boy......who I will continually try to convince that the hooplah is all for him!











0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home